Coventry University student jailed for dealing class A drugs

He has been jailed for three years

A Coventry University student has been jailed for three years and three days for possession of class A drugs with intent to supply.

20-year-old student, Gerry Tito, dealt heroin, cocaine and crack cocaine on the streets of Leamington.

He was arrested in May after being found in possession of two packages.

He also pleaded guilty to possessing ecstasy, for his personal use, possessing a flick knife and possessing criminal property.

Tito, who is from Hendon in North London, was sentenced to jail by the Warwick Crown Court.

His defence revealed: “He was only dealing for some two months. The purpose was so that he could fund his studies and take the financial burden off his parents.

“He is highly remorseful for what he’s done.”

However, Tito was not given a suspended sentence. Recorder Hegarty QC told him: “You were brought up to be an entirely decent individual, and you led a decent industrious life.

“But then you came to Coventry and were tempted to raise money, not by getting a job as you had done before, but by getting involved in criminal activity.

“While you may have engaged in this simply to tide you over, you became accustomed to it and continued to peddle the poisons you were selling on the streets of Leamington.

“You were not simply dabbling in this.”

Final year Warwick student Varsha Patel commented: “Well this is just classic Coventry, isn’t it?”