These are the four proposals being debated at Sussex’s referenda this week

Voting is open until Friday for all Sussex students

The Sussex Students’ Union is running their termly referendum which helps democratically suggest issues that the university could improve upon or change. All suggestions are submitted by students and 450 votes are needed per proposal in order to be considered.

You may remember last term’s referendum, in which proposals such as the reinstatement of the First Generation Scholarship and the public support of student rent strikes were debated, with both passing with 92 per cent and 89 per cent respectively. If you missed out on voting, don’t worry: the Spring term’s referendum is now open for voting.

Sexual safety at Sussex

Instagram: @sussexunderthesheets

This proposal comes after a survey found that 56 per cent of students had experienced some level of sexual violence and, in the wake of recent news events, aims to improve the reporting system and “take preventative action against sexual violence at Sussex by educating students on issues such as consent, open up the conversation, and dismantle a culture of rape.” The policy suggests mandatory consent courses, information posters and greater safety measures.

The full policy and for and against arguments can be read here.

The International Students Awarding Gap

Instagram: @isf.sussex

The second proposal focuses on closing the Awarding Gap, which defines the difference in academic performance between UK students and international students. For the 2019/2020 year, the proportion of white UK students achieving a first of upper second degree was 49.1 per cent higher than BAME international students. The policy’s aim is to significantly reduce this difference and increase the support and accessibility for those applying from abroad.

No beef or lamb on campus

Instagram: @nobeefsussex

You may recognise this proposal as it was also debated in the previous referendum but didn’t reach its 10 per cent turnout minimum. This year, the minimum turnout is 5 per cent and the #NoBeef movement have returned once again. This policy takes into account the current declared state of a climate emergency and aims to reduce the carbon footprint of the university by phasing out beef and lamb products from campus menus and instead replacing them with chicken, pork or other more eco-friendly products.

A community kitchen on campus

Instagram: @foodwastecafe_sussex

The final referendum aims to improve mental and physical health through a community kitchen space usable by societies, groups of students and staff. The policy suggests informative food preparation education as well as environmental sustainability and an increased sense of community.

Voting is now open and closes on Friday at midday. You can vote here.