Your ultimate guide to the top 10 best sunset spots in Brighton

The cliche of liking long walks on the beach has never been so apt

Lockdown three is dragging on and that one sweet hour of government allowed exercise is all you have to look forward to. If you’re lucky enough to actually make it out and find some sun in Brighton, you need to make the most of it. So drag your flatmates out and let the the magic of the golden hour fix all your problems.

If sunsets and the beach are what’s keeping you going in Lockdown 3.0, these are the places to go to.

Brighton Beach 

The first and most obvious spot to head to is the beach. Many of the restaurants and cafes along the seafront have remained open during lockdown three, so your mandatory Brighton fish and chips are still available to have. Just try not to get attacked by seagulls.

Bear Road

If you walk up to the top of Bear Road,  you’ll find this hillside spot. But if you can’t hack walking up the hill, there are a few parking spots available at the top. This spot is great for anyone who lives in Elm Grove/Lewes Road as its just a short walk, which is what makes it  a very popular spot with students in this area.

Seven Sisters / Cuckmere Haven

Although not technically in Brighton, this spot is perfect for those of you lucky enough to have a car as it’s only a 30-minute drive out of town. This route is very popular with walkers and hikers. Beware though the cliffs will test your lockdown fitness abilities, but the views at the top are well worth it. You can complete the walking route to make the most of the sunset or simply  sit on the beach to watch the sun go down.

Devils Dyke 

Devils Dyke, again, is just a quick drive out the top of Brighton. This spot provides gorgeous sunset views over the South Downs. This route is very popular on weekends with cyclists and hikers, so if you head here please make sure you follow social distancing rules and guidance. You could complete the very dramatically named ‘Devil’s Dyke Chasm Explorer’ trail or simply park up and enjoy the views of the south downs.

Hove Beach

This is another classic beach spot that’s found just further down from the main pier. The beach huts along this section of the coast are arguably one of the most Instagram-able spots in Brighton. Keep walking further past the west pier until you hit them. Found by the beach huts is Marroco’s ice cream parlour, which has stayed open to keep serving throughout lockdown. 

Rottingdean Beach 

Rottingdean town centre has that old timey cobbled streets atmosphere to it, making a nice change from Brighton. This beach spot is a short 15 minute drive out of Brighton, but will make you feel like you’ve been transported into the quiet countryside. An independent coffee shop,  Mollys At The Beach has stayed open to keep serving their insane millionaire hot chocolates.

Ditching Beacon

As the highest point in East Sussex, this sport provides panoramic view of the surrounding hills.  Ditchling Beacon is a just  out the top of Brighton and a very popular spot with walkers. Ditchling Beacon is 814 feet (248 metres) above sea level, and for this reason its described as having the feeling like you’re standing on top of the world.

Brighton Marina

Another seaside sunset view, but this is Brighton after all. The free Marina car park provides views itself on the top floor, however it  also has easy access to the beach. What separates this seafront spot from the others is that the car park is right next to a big Asda. To make your day even better there is a McDonald’s Drive-Thru just next to the car park, which is the ultimate lockdown three form of self-care.

Stanmer Park 

For those of you living on campus, Stamner Park can still provide you with a pretty sunset view. Stamner park is situated just next to campus and also has free parking available. The views here can be stunning but make sure you get there a bit before the sunset starts so you don’t miss out once the sun falls behind the trees.

Hollingbury Asda Car Park 

This is the probably most surprising spot to get a view of the sunset. The high vantage point of the car park allows for a stunning sunset view. The serotonin boost provided by the sunset is the only thing that can make that unnecessary trip to the big Asda even better.  Your usual trip for wine and snacks is upgraded by the addition of pink skies.

Go find these cute sunset spots and don’t forget to share your pictures with the The Sussex Tab on Instagram.