St Andrews University to provide free accommodation over the Christmas holidays

Students in halls will only have to pay for catering

In an email from the Student’s Association the support and procedures in place for students over the inter-semester break are being confirmed.

The university have said they “will be providing free accommodation for all residents in Halls for the entire inter-semester break”, while only asking students to cover the cost of their catering.

For those planning to leave St Andrews, students have been reminded “current government guidance says that you are moving from one household to another and would be required to self-isolate for two weeks before you travel, whether or not you have taken a test.”

Following the opening of the ‘Can Do Tent’, the university and Students’ Association have said there will “be an extended Can Do programme of events, activities and festive celebrations” for the students staying over Christmas.

However, in a follow up email, the Student’s Association corrected themselves by saying: “At present, the guidance states that the government may ask students to adopt a precautionary approach to limiting their contact with others before they go home, and on return, to help them safely make a temporary change of households over the holiday period”.

This does not explicitly state the need to isolate but it is heavily implied.

They have also said: “We’re working with the University to make sure that you can be supported as best as possible whatever you decide to do over the break but to prepare, we need a rough idea of your plans.”

The Students’ Association have also asked students to fill out a Winter Break Survey to allow them to prepare accordingly and get feedback directly from the students about their holiday plans.