AU Exec Board is revolutionizing

Vive la AU!

The Athletic Union’s (AU) Executive Committee is attempting to pass a proposal which would institute a salary for AU Executives, as well as change the election process from a democratic election to appointment by a previously designated panel.

The proposal, which will be voted upon by the Governance & Nominations Committee on March 4th, has already been approved by the current AU Exec. Led by President Emily Griffiths, the motion advocates paying each committee position a salary of approximately £1,000 per semester, with each officer sitting a required 10 office hours. These positions would no longer be elected among the Athletic Union, but will be appointed by a panel including the outgoing AU President, two club Presidents, a Saints Sport staff member, a staff member from another department of the University, and the incoming AU President, who will continue to be elected by the student body.

The AU Exec Board believes that paying officers will increase interest in the positions. Last year, two of the six positions were opposed, three were unopposed, and the last no one ran for. Griffiths has stressed that it is necessary to appoint the positions rather than vote for them, to prevent unqualified people from receiving a salary, and that the appointment process will allow the panel to focus on “skills rather than a public campaign.”

AU Web Officer, James McMahon, has resigned in protest to the changes, citing the de-democratization of the elections as his primary argument. Under the new system, his position will be combined with the Design & Publicity Officer to create one Communications Officer.

President Griffiths is passionate about the need for change, saying, “One of the main problems this year has been the Exec, because they’re volunteers. I’ve been the one dealing with it first hand, and when you’re there and you haven’t got an Exec supporting you, it’s difficult to get things done. Without change, we’re never going to progress.”

Image courtesy of www.st-andrews.ac.uk