Manners? What Manners?

How many times when we were young were we reminded by our mothers and fathers to remember our “p’s and q’s!” When we were younger manners were extremely important so […]

How many times when we were young were we reminded by our mothers and fathers to remember our “p’s and q’s!” When we were younger manners were extremely important so now I am asking why, at university and in life do some people forget these simplicities that make life a lot more pleasant for those around them?

Not that hard is it?

Walking through campus yesterday, I had the pleasure of listening for twenty minutes to a story about one gentleman’s exams and how he was doing at university (I was walking in front of him). It seemed like a very dramatic story and so naturally, when we went our separate ways, I decided to take a peek at who I had been listening to. When I accidentally caught his eye (I was by no means staring) I was met with a sarcastic wave and the words “can you speak English?” in the most mocking tone I had heard in a long time. Now I salute you sir for making your friend laugh but I would ask, why was that needed?

Now this is not a rant over one experience, as I shall now use another example. My friend (who is from Malaysia) was walking through West Quay a couple of months ago and after bumping into someone (and apologising profusely) was met with the comment “just go home to your own country.” Just why? The casual racism, mocking remarks, sneering tone of some people is tragic. I admit that after a bad day I won’t smile at everyone but I don’t understand how some people can get some sense of satisfaction when they close a door in a person’s face or humiliate someone. It just seems like sometimes people at university and in life generally feel that because they have left home and left their mother’s watchful gaze that they can now forget the civilities that were learnt when young. Making fun of someone who is not a close friend who knows it is a joke could be perceived as cruel; it is not a sense of humour failure.

The culture that we now find ourselves living in is quickly becoming satirical and mocking (a culture that would appeal to individuals such as Frankie Boyle) however when you are simply walking back home, this kind of behaviour is not needed.

A smile or even opening a door can mean a lot to someone if they are feeling a bit blue, so I would ask, that tomorrow please try to remember the person coming through the door behind you and hold it for them, it might make someone’s bad day a bit better!