Come and write for The Sheffield Tab!

Drop us a DM on Instagram or pop down to the open meeting

The Sheffield Tab is looking for new writers to report on serious news and chaotic happenings, and we want you to be a part of our amazing team!

We are having an open meeting at Hallam’s HUBS bar on Wednesday 28th September @ 1pm! If you have any more questions or can’t make it to the meeting, send us a DM on Instagram.

As part of a 30-strong university network, The Sheffield Tab is written by students, for students, all about the key moments in this great city that so many of us call home.

Writing for us requires no prior journalism experience, but you’ll need to have a passion for hunting down those great stories and bringing out the best jokes from Sheffield’s corner of the internet.

What is The Sheffield Tab?

Interesting things are always happening across Sheffield, and we take on the responsibilty of bringing them to the attention of students at both The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam.

Highlighting the genius of a viral TikTok, giving news on the city’s favourite venues and investigating issues that affect our students are all recent examples of what we do to make sure Sheffield students stay well informed.

We promote our stories as much as possible across our Instagram and Facebook pages, with over 25,000 followers across both platforms!

Covering all aspects of student life in Sheffield is important to us so, if you feel you can bring under-represented views from either university to The Sheffield Tab, please join us!

Why write for us?

We all know that the most daunting part of job-hunting is padding out that CV. Writing for us gives you the experience and skills to tackle to world of work!

Students are at the heart of what we do, so writing for The Tab will always be flexible around work, deadlines and social lives, with you contributing as much or as little as you want.

A lack of experience is also no problem for us, as you’ll work alongside our editorial team and our Assisstant Editor over at The Tab HQ to improve your writing and really build the skills needed to be an excellent reporter.

In the past, The Tab’s writers have gone on to work for The Times, The Telegraph and Vogue. So, whether or not a career in journalism is in your future, writing for The Sheffield Tab provides so many admirable skills that set you up for life.

How do I get involved?

We’re having an open meeting at the Sheffield Hallam HUBS bar on Wednesday 28th September @ 1pm! If you can’t make it to this meeting, please feel free to message us on Instagram and we’ll get you started!

Applicants from both Sheffield universities are welcome, and we encourage you to bring ideas for articles and social media posts.

Come along to meet the editing team that’ll be supporting you during your time at The Tab, and get social with your fellow writers!

Follow The Sheffield Tab on Instagram and Like our Facebook page to get the latest updates!