Vice chancellor escorted out after pro-Palestine protest disrupts Sheffield Uni awards

Security promptly shut down the event

Protest relating to the Israel-Gaza conflict has continued on the University of Sheffield campus, as protestors disrupted a university awards ceremony.

Protesters at the University of Sheffield Education Awards, several of whom were entirely masked, climbed the stage carrying Palestinian flags and banners bearing slogans such as “Stop Genocide in Palestine” and “Justice for Palestine”.

The group reiterated demands for the University of Sheffield to “cut ties with the arms trade” and Israeli universities.

Speakers from the group said they were inspired by similar protests in the US and elsewhere.

A speaker said: “We demand there is no retaliation. We demand there is no disciplinary measures against the students.”

The speaker continued: “Start being on the right side of history.”

The Vice-Chancellor left the room.

As some members of staff joined those on the stage, the Vice-Chancellor left the room and security told attendees that the event was cancelled.

According to a University of Sheffield webpage, the University of Sheffield education awards “recognises and celebrates excellent practice in learning and teaching.”

After the cancellation of the event, protesters left the room, continuing to chant.

This comes just after an encampment outside Sheffield Student’s Union marked a week of continual protest.

The University of Sheffield has been contacted for comment.