Here are Sheffield’s top 10 walks to cure those lockdown blues

Add a little spice to your daily walk

With it coming up for a year in lockdown, we all know our local park like the back of our hand. But with another couple of months of walks before we can get back to the clubs, you can venture out by trying these local walks.

1. Rivelin Valley Nature Trail 

Rivelin Valley is a lovely walk next to Manchester Road heading out to the Peaks. The trail itself is a six-mile round trip along the river. Alternatively, set off from the café at the start and head back whenever it suits you. Along the way there’s plenty of fun activities like the stepping stones, the throne in the middle of the river and a rope swing. At the end of the trail, you could carry on to the peaks and head towards Our Cow Molly for a longer ramble with a tasty reward of fresh ice cream at the end.

2. Endcliffe Park to Forge Dam

We recommend this walk for anyone who misses their dog, as it is a hotspot for dog spotting. Pass the time walking from the Botanical Gardens to Endcliffe to Forge Dam by naming all the dogs you see. The walk is about two miles long, following the river towards the cafe at Forge Dam for refreshments. You could decide to carry on past Forge Dam, walking straight forward on a path that leads just to below Mayfield Alpaca Farm. At which point turn left and if you can make it up the steep hill you’ll be rewarded with some cute alpacas and other animals.

3. General Cemetery 

Located just off Ecclesall Road walk through the cemetery and onto Porter Brook towards Endcliffe Park, you could stop here and pick up a snack from one of the many cafes on Ecclesall Road or carry on towards Bingham Park with its hanging woods. This walk is also an alternative starting point to reach Forge Dam and Mayfield Valley for a longer walk.

4. Norfolk Heritage Trail 

This trail takes you on a three-mile trail from Manor Lodge, where Mary Queen of Scots was kept captive in the 16th century, to Sheffield Cathedral. Follow on from Manor Lodge past beautiful wildflower meadows and 1940s cottages towards the Rhubarb Shed Cafe. From here arrive at the City Road Cemetery where you can see gothic style chapels and war memorials. Then, continue to Norfolk Heritage Park, one of the UK’s first free public parks. After that visit clay wood and the cholera monument grounds followed by Shrewsbury hospital and the brutalist block of flats at Park Hill. Finally, visit the Old Queen’s Head, thought to be Sheffield’s oldest domestic building and Sheffield Cathedral.

5. Wyming Brook 

Choose between a six-mile scenic loop or a more chill three-mile stroll from the bus stop at Lodge Moor. There’s plenty to see, including picturesque bridges and stepping stones, followed by beautiful views at Rivelin Dams and Redmires Reservoirs. A favourite with wild swimmers, it’s a great ramble for a hot day as you can refresh in the water. If you don’t fancy that, try the Three Merry Lads pub on Redmires Road.

6. The Town Walk 

There’s probably a lot of buildings around the city centre you have never given a second look, so why not try this Town Walk to learn a little more about Sheffield’s history. The walk takes you from the cathedral to Ponds Forge to Victoria Quays, after which you’ll find the site of Sheffield’s castle and the old town hall. After that, check out Sheffield’s oldest bridge: the Lady Bridge, followed by the Upper Don Walk that takes you to Kelham Island and the legal quarter, leading you back towards the cathedral via Campo Lane.

7. Dam Flask 

Take a 5k circular loop around Dam Flask or extend it by taking in Agden Dam and Dale Dyke for a more challenging 10k ramble. A little further away from the city, you will need to take the tram blue route to Hillsborough followed by the 61 bus to Annet Lane followed by a short walk before you reach Dam Flask.

8. Hope Valley Walks

Get the train from the city centre to Hope Valley where there’s a variety of walks. Get off at Grindleford train station to enjoy the breathtaking views from Padley Gorge to Burbage Brook towards Hathersage Moor and Milestone edge, ending at the Surprise View before heading back to your starting point. Other routes include a six-mile trek around Hathersage, a four-mile walk around Bamford and a more challenging seven and a half-mile walk around Edale.

9. The Sheffield Street Art Trail 

Sheffield is home to a community of acclaimed street artists who have made the city an open-air art gallery to be enjoyed by all. Follow the Sheffield Street art trail for a one and a half-mile trail around the city or just use the street art map to find your favourite pieces and form your own trail. There’s plenty of options for everyone, but we recommend starting off at Sheff Uni’s campus for Jo Peel’s feature wall before making your way through the city visiting various murals by Phelgm and Pete McKee, on the way to Hallam’s campus where you can see more from Phelgm and other great artists.

10. Parks 

If you don’t want to stray too far from campus there are plenty of parks to explore, such as the Botanical Gardens, Endcliffe Park, Weston Park, Crookes Valley Park and Bole Hill. If you can climb up to Bole Hill, bring a picnic and a bottle of wine to enjoy the beautiful sunset overlooking the city and stretching out into the Peaks.

Other stories:

• ‘We can’t take on the crisis alone’: Sheff Nightline volunteer pleads for more uni support

• Sheff students grabbing ‘Forgotten Students Freshers Week’ tickets crashed SU website

• The Leadmill to host an entire week of club nights when doors reopen on June 21