Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Person, People, Human

Sheffield Hallam has finished above Uni Of Sheffield in new student satisfaction rankings

Sheffield Hallam polled alongside some top Russell Group unis

Sheffield Hallam has placed above the University of Sheffield in this year's National Student Survey.

Hallam polled in joint 36th place, alongside Russell Group unis such as Birmingham and Newcastle, with an overall course satisfaction rate of 86 per cent, whereas Uni of Sheffield polled in joint 51st place with a satisfaction rate of 85 per cent.

The survey asked over 32,000 students from 400 universities and colleges across the UK to find out how satisfied students are with their university experience.

St. Andrew's University came out on top in the survey with an overall course satisfaction rate of 94 per cent, whilst Glasgow School of Art finished last with an overall course satisfaction rate of just 67 per cent.

Across the country, the survey found that, in general, satisfaction rates were down to 83 per cent from 84 per cent in 2017, and down from 86 per cent in 2016.

Dom, a student at the University of Sheffield, told The Tab: "Measuring unis by the NSS is all well and good, but no one at Uni Of actually filled it in. Maybe this is something to do with the campaign by our SU, which in case you didn’t know has been voted the best in the country for the last ten years. Hallam can have this one, but they’ll never have John’s Van or Pop Tarts."

Dan, a Hallam student, told The Tab Sheffield: "I'm guessing that the strikes have a lot to do with these results as other unis that took part have also fallen in the rankings. Been a year full of surprises – England making the semis, Laura making the Love Island final – so Hallam being higher than Uni Of just adds to the list."

Hallam's overall satisfaction rate jumped up from 85 per cent in 2017, where they finished joint 60th, whereas Uni Of did not take part after a successful boycott campaign. A university must submit surveys from over 50 per cent of final year undergraduates to gain a score. Neither Oxford or Cambridge were included in the rankings for 2018.