Mardy drum: Arctic Monkeys pledge support to save Devonshire Street

Matt Helders rants at plans by the ‘bloodthirsty’ council

The Arctic Monkeys join local residents in telling the council to “snap out of it”, following plans to demolish part of Devonshire Street.

Drummer Matt Helders, took to Twitter to express his dismay over the council’s plans to replace part of Devonshire Street with (yet another) housing development.

Matt telling the council ‘That’s where you’re wrong’

Matt tweeted: “You can’t let ’em knock down these shops!”, also adding that they were “classic independent businesses in Sheffield.”

He then included a link to the planning application, which includes hundreds of comments from disgruntled locals.

Another online campaign against the demolition has received almost 10,000 signatures.

The council’s plans have caused uproar, with online petitions reaching almost 10,000 signatures

As part of the council’s plans, 162-170 Devonshire Street will be demolished to make way for a development which includes studio apartments, restaurants and shops.

This includes popular indie-haunt “rare and racy”, an independent book and record store, and Syd&Mallory’s, an equally as edgy vintage clothes emporium.

Devonshire Street is a popular haunt for indie-types

Local band, Dredge, have also voiced outrage over the plans, adding that “The bloodthirsty council clearly can’t get enough of the apartments and restaurants and cafés clamouring for space in the city centre”.

Clearly the Arctic Monkeys aren’t alone in thinking the council are scumbags.

Meanwhile, the planning application still goes ahead.