Breaking: University of Nottingham staff to strike for three days in November

The strike action will take place on the 24th, 25th and 30th of November

In the biggest UCU strike to date, the University and Colleges Union (UCU) has announced that its members at University of Nottingham and all other universities in the UK will be striking for three days this month.

The strike action will take place on the 24th, 25th and 30th of November, in a national walkout over pay, pension and working conditions.

Over 2.5 million students nationwide will be impacted, making this strike the largest in higher education history.

70,000 university staff at 140 universities in the UK took place in the UCU’s national ballots for industrial action last month. The disputes discussed remain unresolved, according to the UCU.

The UCU’s General Secretary, Jo Grady, said: “Our message during these three days is very clear. Put a proper offer on the table or this is just the start of our fight back. This strike will be like no other we have called before. The ballot was different, the action will be different, the result will be different. The longer the picket line, the shorter the dispute.”

The National Union of Students is backing the strike, with its vice president of higher education, Chloe Field, saying: “Students stand in solidarity with the 70,000 university staff across the UK who will strike later this month.

“Staff teaching conditions are students’ learning conditions, and we must fight together for a fairer, healthier education system for everyone who works and studies.”

A University of Nottingham spokesperson said: “Please be assured that the University will remain open throughout the industrial action and the vast majority of teaching and learning will proceed as usual.

“You should assume that your lectures, seminars and classes will take place unless notified otherwise.

“Where sessions are likely to experience industrial action, your schools will give you advance notice where possible, although staff members do not have to tell us in advance that they will take industrial action.

“Schools will explore options to reschedule sessions, provide resources through Moodle, extend deadlines where helpful and ensure that assessments reflect the learning that has taken place. Our libraries, computer rooms, and services will be available throughout to enable ongoing support for your studies.”

FAQs surrounding the strike action can be found on the university website here.

• Police issue warning to Notts students to lock their doors and windows to avoid burglaries

• A man has been arrested in relation to the burglary of four student houses in Notts

Two arrests made in connection to burglary at a student house in Notts