A man has been arrested in relation to the burglary of four student houses in Notts

Police have urged students to check their doors and windows are always locked

A man has been arrested in relation to four burglaries that happened in student properties in Hyson Green and Arboretum areas of Nottingham.

Extensive enquires in recent weeks led to a search for the41-year-old, who was apprehended on Monday 26th September and taken into custody for questioning. He has since been bailed while the investigation continues.

Two bicycles were stolen from a garage on Derby Road on September 8th.

On September 22nd, a television, laptops, jewellery, clothing, an iPhone and cash were reported as stolen from Maples Street.

The same day, a Nintendo Switch, laptop, jewellery, AirPods and cash were stolen from another student-owned property on Noel Street in Hyson Green.

The fourth burglary was also reported on the same day, as a student on Bentinck Road returned home to find her car key and black Mini Cooper missing.

Detective Inspector Chris Berryman, of Nottinghamshire Police’s city burglary team, said: “The force takes all reports of burglary extremely seriously.

“Thanks to some excellent work by the City Central Operation Reacher team, a suspect has been arrested and questioned in connection with these incidents.

“This is an ongoing investigation but I would ask anyone who may have any information to get in touch with us on 101 or speak to a patrolling officer.”

Inspector Ben Lawrence, who leads the City Central Neighbourhood Policing team, urged students to follow a few simple steps to prevent falling victim to burglary, particularly for students. He said: “Despite our continuing drive to prevent burglaries and ensure our student communities are as crime-free as possible, we still need students to remain vigilant and make sure they take the necessary steps to protect themselves and avoid becoming victims.

“We’d urge students to check their door and window locks are working correctly and remember to make sure they keep their doors and windows locked at all times, even when they are at home and especially if their rooms are on the ground floor.”

• 11 ways you can be more sustainable as a Notts student without breaking the bank

• Eight ways to channel your inner child as a Notts student

• I spent 24 hours in Hallward Library and here’s what happened