Oat milk lattes and Mario Kart: What it was really like inside the UoN occupations

The students occupied three buildings in solidarity with striking lecturers

Last Monday, a group of students occupied Keighton Auditorium for five days. It began with a sit in at Coates Road Auditorium, then they moved to occupy Keighton for five days and finally on Friday, Coates, Keighton and the Monica Partridge lecture theatres were all occupied simultaneously.

The occupying students had hung up banners proclaiming “students support the strikes” and “free education now” and when cohorts of other students turned up to to attend their lectures in the occupied spaces, they were met by people handing out leaflets explaining why the building was being occupied.

“We’re occupying this building in support of the ongoing UCU strikes”, the line of occupying students said when turning away at the door people who turned up for lectures, but their demands reach beyond that.

Sarah*, a student involved in the occupation said: “Primarily we are here in support of our teaching staff and their ongoing battle for fair pensions and working conditions, but we’re also here to protest the way our university is being managed and the shift we’re seeing in higher education towards marketisation.”

When asked about how staff and students have reacted to their teaching being cancelled, Sarah said: “The response from staff has been overwhelmingly positive and students have also been supportive of what we’re doing.”

Inside the occupied spaces you could see students sleeping, chatting and doing uni work. There was also a few communal food and drinks tables set up that boasted a comically large amount of oat milk.

“Lots of us sleep here and loads of people have brought in food and things to be used communally,” Alex*, another student taking part in the occupation, said.

“We’ve also had appreciative staff members buying us food and things which is really lovely, it’s nice to know that what you’re trying to do is appreciated by the people you’re trying to do it for.

“In the day people will do their work or play a lot of Mario Kart and in the evenings we’ll do group activity like a powerpoint night or something similar. We’ve also had regular teach outs from both staff and students which have been good fun and informative. Overall, I’d say it’s a very fun and relaxed environment.”

When asked about the universities response to their actions, Alex* said: “The university seem pretty unbothered by what we’re doing, which is odd considering how much teaching we’ve managed to disrupt. But that’s quite telling of their general attitude towards student learning, I would say. They’re generally unbothered.”

A spokesperson for The University of Nottingham said: “We are sorry for any disruption caused to students during the latest period of industrial action by members of the University and College Union, and have been accounting for this by rescheduling sessions, providing resources through Moodle, extending deadlines where helpful and ensuring that assessments reflect the learning that has taken place.

“Without reforms to the pension scheme, staff would face increases in how much they pay into the pension of 12% in April and a further 17% in October 2022 – an extra £858 in pension costs over the first twelve months for someone earning £40,000 – with contributions set to rise further every six months until 2025. We work within national-level pay arrangements but at Nottingham we also make additional pay increments which mean that a significant proportion of our staff received pay increases in August of between 3.5% and 4.5%. Currently, we invest more than half of our cost base in staff pay which is consistently higher than the Russell Group average.

“We have also been reducing our gender and ethnicity pay gaps, with a task group dedicated to reducing these further. For colleagues employed on casual contracts, we intend next year to replace these with formal contracts for Graduate Teaching Assistants, and are already piloting their use in a school this year.”

*Name changed at the request of the interviewee.

• ‘We don’t want to strike’, Uni of Nottingham lecturer on the picket line says

• Angry about strikes? We need to support our picketing lecturers and here’s why

• UoN strikes: It’s not our fault, so why are we the ones being punished?