UoN shortlisted for seven BUCS 2020 awards

Sports University of the Year and now this?!

The University of Nottingham has been shortlisted for seven national British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) awards this year.

Each category has three shortlisted universities, making UoN’s seven features incredibly impressive.

UoN is renowned for its sporting achievements and has consistently ranked within the top 10 of the BUCS league table.

University of Nottingham Sport announced the impressive news on Twitter.

The shortlistings come as no surprise after the university, which boasts a £40 million sports complex, was named Sports University of the Year by The Times for the second time in three years.

The first of those making the shortlist, for Sportsman of the Year, is Stefano Lucchetti, who earlier this year won UoN’s first male fencing medal. Esme Burge, shortlisted for Sportswoman of the Year, is a midfield hockey player for Great Britain. Both Stefano and Esme qualified for Tokyo 2020.

UoN’s track cycling team, coached by Olympic medalist Bryan Steel, has been nominated for Team of the Year, while UoN’s consistently high ranking tennis club has been shortlisted for Club of the Year.

Raj Stevenson, third year Geography student and President of UoN’s Tennis Club told The Nottingham Tab: “We’re really honoured to be nominated for Club of the Year as it shows that our hard work making the club more inclusive than ever before is paying off.”

PHD Computer Science student, Peter Boyes, has been shortlisted for the Student Volunteer award. He took to Twitter to thank all involved in sport at UoN.

UoN’s final two shortlists are for Digital Engagement and Diversity and Inclusion. Disability Sport Officer, Hannah Weber, shared the news on Facebook.