Five lessons I learned in isolation as a student

Isolation doesn’t have to be all bad

With coronavirus cases on the rise in Notts, many of us have unfortunately found ourselves self-isolating. Being stuck in isolation while all your friends continue life as normal (normal meaning banned club nights and a 10pm curfew) sucks, but there are ways you can make your isolation better. Whilst it certainly has its downsides, it isn’t all doom and gloom.

Prioritise your mental health

Pay attention to your thoughts and feelings as isolation can be a very lonely and daunting time for some. Try to remember that bad times don’t last forever, and that it’s okay not to be okay. There are hundreds of students self-isolating at this time so you’re not in this alone! There is plenty of support to help you if needed – Nottingham Nightline, the University Counselling Service and The Mental Health Advisory Service.

Self-care is always important

Looking after yourself during iso will make you feel so much better. This could be doing simple things such as ensuring you sleep well, hydrate yourself and eat healthily, or even doing a pamper evening. Cooking healthy meals will ensure your body is being fuelled sufficiently, and why not use isolation to try out some new and nifty recipes?

Healthy chicken salad made by yours truly

Technology is your best friend

Just because you can’t go out and see friends, doesn’t mean you can’t talk to them at all. It’s a great idea to keep in touch with friends and family via FaceTime, Zoom or WhatsApp, or even watch a film on Netflix Party together. Also, if you’re feeling peckish, see what deals are on UberEats or Deliveroo. Use technology to stay connected because – after all – that’s what it’s made for.

Exercise is still possible

Home workouts are the new gym. With fitness influencers gaining huge popularity over lock-down, there is no better time to get your sweat on at home than now. Lack of equipment isn’t an excuse – why not get creative and use household objects like a chair, sofa, and food tins or water bottles as a replacement for weights? Getting your endorphins and serotonin pumping will lift your mood and leave you feeling energised. Check out @pamela_rf, @mrandmrsmuscle, @dannibelle.

My home workout set up

Friends are like family, so take advantage

Your housemates are your new family bubble. They are there to support you and be there for you when you need it, so don’t be afraid to ask for help. Whether it’s doing a food shop for you or planning a games night at home, they are the people that will help you get through your isolation. Kindness in a time of crisis goes a long way.

Games night