Should you break up with bae when you go to uni?

‘Babe, I just need some space’

Coming to University is a time for self-discovery and shameful one night stands, but this can be difficult with a partner from home in tow. You’ve travelled to a new part of the country, settled into a mediocre room in halls and fill your days with drinking and avoiding the education you pay £9,000 a year for. So we asked some freshers whether they think you should give it a go.

Melina, Architecture, 19

1
“It depends on the distance really. If you’re going to a university near your partner, then you should give it a shot.”

Jessica, English, 18

2
“Well I got together with my boyfriend two weeks before coming to Nottingham, so…”
(Good luck Jess)

Flora, History & Classics, 19

3
“If you’re committed and you see a future with them, then definitely. If it’s just a fling then probably not.”

Danny, International Relations, 19

4
“Yes! Being single means more fun in Freshers’ Week.”

Sam, Physics, 20

5
“Communication is key, so if you can communicate well then you should try and stay together.”

Sarah, Music, 19

6
“I don’t think it’s necessary. I know people who have broken up with their boyfriend or girlfriend, and people who haven’t and I don’t think it makes much of a difference.”

Cianan, Politics, 20 

7
“Yeah you should! Going to university can make your relationship complicated.”

Gabriela, 20

8
‘If you’re at the same university then you should stick together. If you’re not, then the relationship can restrict you.’