Notts student allegedly sexually assaulted by DJ

Former student forced to escape from gig after Dave Lee Travis turned on her, a court has heard

A former Nottingham student was allegedly sexually assaulted by former DJ Dave Lee Travis.

The woman, who legally can’t be named, told a jury today that the ex-Radio 1 presenter groped her following a gig at Nottingham Polytechnic (now Trent) in 1983.

She said that she was “left absolutely rigid with fear” when he trapped her against the wall of his caravan and felt her breast.

Travis is on trial at Southwark Crown Court

The Radio DJ asked the teenager to guard his caravan at the University because “Nottingham was a bit of a dive” and he “didn’t trust it”.

The prosecutor said that he then lifted up a security pass pinned to the student’s top, groped her left breast and said “securi-titty”.

Later, Travis invited the 19 year-old into his “very, very posh caravan”, where she thought she was “going to get some Radio 1 t-shirts or something”.

Nottingham Trent, formerly Nottingham Polytechnic

Instead, while showing her around, Travis suddenly turned and pressed her against a wall.

The woman told jurors: “I turned and he was on me and his demeanour changed. He came towards me and touched me. I could feel his tongue and he just relaxed”.

After Travis kissed her and attempted to put his tongue in her mouth, the woman told the court that she “went under his arm” and ran all the way home.

Travis, pictured here at the height of his fame in the 1970s, denies the allegations

She said she “felt lucky” to have escaped, describing Travis’ alleged attack as “so smooth, so rehearsed”.

Travis, whose real name is David Patrick Griffin, is on trial accused of assaulting 11 girls and woman aged from 15 to 29 between 1976 and 2008. He was arrested in 2012 as part of the Operation Yewtree inquiry.

He has “categorically” denied the allegations.

The trial continues.