AlunaGeorge at Rock City 30th October

Olivia Rose French went to see AlunaGeorge on the final night of their UK tour.

Amidst a hectic trip around the festival circuit this summer, AlunaGeorge also found the time to release their debut album Body Music. Apparently not fancying a rest, they also booked themselves in for a headline UK tour this October, with the final date taking place at Nottingham’s Rock City.

AlunaGeorge hit Rock City on Wednesday

After an opening support slot from Tiny Dancer (she was tiny and she danced a lot), main support came from Mausi, a four-piece from Newcastle who determinedly got the crowd moving with some highly stylised electro pop.

Their set was well-produced with an unbroken sound that fell somewhere between the likes of Phoenix and CHVRCHES.

Aluna and George took to the stage and turned the crowd on like a light-switch with “Just A Touch”. Their sound was tight, with Aluna possessing some technically impressive vocals and seemingly enough energy and stage presence for about eight other people.

Bands nowadays… they love instagram #regram

They flew through a set which included ‘Best Be Believing’ and ‘You Know You Like It’, with George also fleetingly taking the limelight with some mixing for ‘The Jam’ (Aluna took the opportunity to have a wander over to the keyboard and on and off stage for this).

The set worked well in building the crowd atmosphere, which included a nicely mixed cover of Montell Jordan’s ‘This Is How We Do It’.

Their final two songs, ‘Attracting Flies’ and ‘Lost and Found’ had the audience dancing right the way to the back of the room, which seemed to be the place to observe some of the more serious and –ahem – rarer moves.

Spot any ‘rare’ dance moves?

The duo opened their encore with a disappointingly clumsy track ‘We Are Chosen’, with both crowd and atmosphere quickly dying down. The situation was thankfully saved – you knew it was coming guys – by ‘White Noise’, which ,in the absence of Disclosure, benefitted from a much heavier and surprisingly good re-working.

Having recovered well, ‘Your Drums, Your Love’ brought the night and the pair’s biggest UK headline tour so far to an impressive and promising conclusion.