The Skints @ The Maze

The Skints draw a big crowd with their reggae revival. Jim Light reports

Thursday, 4 October 2012 was one to remember for the 200+ capacity crowd that witnessed The Skints headline a strong, ska-reggae-themed line up at The Maze.

Opening acts Clay Pigeons and By The Rivers – definitely ones to watch – provided fitting introduction for the night, with their easy punk/reggae mix loosening up the slowly growing crowd for the bands to follow.

Main support act The Drop are gaining more and more fans with every gig they play, and it is easy to see why. Their 9-piece roots-rock-reggae had the capacity crowd swaying to the hypnotic voice of the lead singer and the impressive riffs and solos of the brass section.

The Skints finally arrive on stage after what feels like an age of watching their roadie seemingly being able to play every instrument ever created.

The crowd instantly go wild to hear the familiarity of a band many have followed since they first started touring, supporting the likes of Less Than Jake and You Me At Six.

The Maze has now turned into a sauna of 200 sweaty punk-reggae fans, interspersed with the members of the support bands, all enjoying the soundtrack of The Skints’ significant attempt at reviving Reggae in Britain.

Typically, they are out for an encore, finishing strong, and predictably, some of the crowd want to start moshing, which obviously makes sense at a reggae gig.

All in all, a cracking chilled night at The Maze, and with many more Ska-Reggae-Punk nights lined up for the near future, the Nottingham Reggae revival is looking very hopeful indeed.