Vote: Which Terrace is the best?

It’s time to put the Norfolk-Suffolk rivalry to the test

On a question that’s divided UEA students for generations.

The Ziggurats are famed across campus for their rowdy flat parties and questionable hygienic standards, a paradise for blossoming friendships and burnt toast. Students living in these concrete creations leave with a lasting bond for their flatmates, a strengthened immune system, but also a fierce pride for their Ziggurat.

The terraces, which were built in the 60s by architect Denys Lasdun, are an iconic feature of the UEA campus and form the bulk of non-ensuite accommodation. Both Norfolk and Suffolk terrace boast great views of the lake and are a famous home for flat parties on campus, making them very popular among students.

Norfolk Terrace in all its beauty

But which has the better views of the lake? Who throws the best parties?  And is Norfolk Terrace really grottier than Suffolk Terrace? Who better to ask than the people in the know, the lucky souls with experience of living in these concrete creations.

First year Scriptwriting and Performance student Amie Maria Marie, a current Norfolk Terrace resident, firmly displayed her allegiance to her home when questioned.

“There are more of us than there are of Suffolk Terrace and we have drying rooms and the better views”

That’s right, even drying rooms have a place in this debate. She went on praising her Ziggurat:

“I’m here for starters, and our parties are brilliant. Why go anywhere else?”

Norfolk Terrace – pre drink paradise

But when I asked this proud resident about her feelings on the rivalry between the two terraces, her response mellowed a little.

“I think, much like the Hogwarts houses against the Death Eaters, both sets of Ziggurats know when to unite for a more important rivalry against Essex.”

This response was echoed by former Suffolk Terrace resident, George Evans, a third year history student.

He said, “Yes, there’s a rivalry but like a friendly rivalry. And people from both terraces will always unite to defend them if the terraces in general are being slagged off.”

But when asked which terrace was better he stayed loyal to his former home.

Suffolk Terrace squad goals

“Suffolk – obviously. It’s closer to the pub and the LCR. Better views of the lake. Smaller so you get to know people better.”

Harrison Cole, a current Norfolk Terrace resident and first year English and Drama student, disagreed with George somewhat.

“Norfolk terrace is clearly better, I can’t name a single person who lives in Suffolk terrace for a start.

“It’s hard to have a rivalry when there’s no competition.”

Shots fired. He also praised the party atmosphere in Norfolk.

The sun always shines on Suffolk

“The best thing about Norfolk Terrace probably the view onto the green and the lake. That, or the safety in knowing there will almost always be a party going on somewhere.”

So what do you think? Which Ziggurat is superior?