Studying American Lit is so much better than English Lit

Don’t pretend you love Gatsby more than us

When I tell people that I’m studying American Literature I get this sort of pitying look that just screams “oh dear, you obviously weren’t smart enough to do English Literature.”

Here’s the kicker though: English Lit may seem to be the “smarter” choice, but American Lit is the more interesting and more fun degree to study.

You all know it – but if you need proof, here’s why.

I like Jane Eyre but I don’t want to study it

The lectures are way smaller and less intimidating

When I walked into my first English Lit lecture in my second semester I couldn’t believe the size of the room, and how many people were going to be there. If I didn’t already know someone also in the module, I would have legged it out of there as fast as possible.

Imagine not knowing anyone and having to find a seat among over two hundred other people – terrifying. American Lit lectures are small and everyone is pretty much really friendly. 

Speaking of being friendly, there are so many less cliques than in English Lit

I didn’t realise how cliquey English Lit was until after my first few lectures, when my friend pointed them out to me. Especially you Creative Writing lot – you’ll all be down by the lake reading Keats and Wordsworth and talking about how difficult it is for markers to appreciate your creative artistry. 

This came as a shock to me, as being an American Lit and Creative Writing student, I’d never come across any divide between us and anyone else doing straight American Lit. English Lit and Creative Writing people, get it together. 

You can’t dress up with us

Our seminars are so much more fun and laid back

Don’t get me wrong, I do like my English Lit module and everyone in it, but oh boy can I feel the difference between it and my other modules. I don’t feel an overwhelming pressure to be super smart and super intelligent all the time. Also, we can laugh at ourselves way easier than you English Lit folks – I’m sorry, it’s the truth. 

Let’s be honest, we study much more interesting modules

Have you guys had a whole seminar where you literally talked about Disneyland and its merits and flaws? A seminar dedicated to Starbucks? Had to watch a movie for homework and talk about whether you thought Django Unchained was borderline racist? No? I rest my case.

I don’t have to study Chaucer

I mean this is pretty self explanatory really. Chaucer sucks, and everyone knows it. Medieval literature is my worst nightmare – and you guys had to write essays on him. Suckers. 

Way better than Chaucer

We have the option for a full year abroad to America, NZ or Australia 

Yeah, you guys can do a semester or two in Europe if you want, but can you guys go to any of the North American universities for a year? Or do a semester in LA and a semester in Sydney? No you can’t. Think about it, it’s not even just about the great experiences we can get, it’s also the fact that I won’t have to say up until 3am to watch the Super Bowl. Oh and also? No awful British weather. 

The one thing I will give you guys though, is that at least you didn’t have to write six summatives last term.