Four ambulances called to campus on first night of Freshers’

Four people were taken to hospital in just six hours

Four ambulances took students to hospital from campus in just SIX hours on Sunday 21st.

Acute alcohol intoxication was reported in at least two of the cases.

The count was confirmed by the East of England ambulance service, which recorded that four were called out between 12:10 AM to 5:51 AM in the early hours of last Monday morning.

This was immediately following Sunday’s “Fill Your Stein” party. Another St. John’s volunteer ambulance is routinely stationed on standby outside the LCR.

And the extreme number of call-outs have been noticed by those on campus. One student commented on Facebook: “I bet the hospital/ambulances/999 are loving UEA tonight, 5 ambulances that I know have visited campus today.”

A student member of the LCR medical team also commented on the status, saying “Yup. We got a call handler being quite harsh with us about it when we booked an ambulance. Welcome to Freshers!”

And on the final Freshers’ event on Saturday night another two students were stretchered out of the LCR before midnight.

One third-year student posted: “Two people have already been stretchered into the LCR first aid room. At least [name of friend] made it til after midnight when she was taken there! Love youuuuuuuuuy xoxoxoxoxo”

Neither the Student Union nor UEA itself offers Freshers any mandatory responsible-drinking advice or alcohol education classes during Welcome Week.