Is the World Worth My Time?

Before Verity Stone helped us decide whether we should pursue further education, now she explores ‘To travel, or not to travel? That is the question’

Graduation isn’t far off for final year students. We’ve had a look at postgrad courses, now what about option number two – taking time out to travel? Is it worth your time?

The simple answer is yes! Whether you decide to do a postgrad course or head into work after your undergrad degree, travelling will always be on your ‘things to do’ list.

The earlier you travel means the earlier you complete that ambition, before having to spend your cash on ‘adult’ things, like flats, cars, maybe a pet or two…

Instead of being far-fetched and saying you want to do a round-the-world trip, keep it limited and pick a region or even just a country to explore. Most importantly though, research, research, research! Spend at least a month planning. It will seem like a long time, but it gives you the chance to spot every deal available!

Look into travelling with friends. You can share costs and staying in crappy hostels won’t be so bad if you have company.

Cosy

Travelling will drain your pocket whether you like it or not, but it’s worth it. If you’re looking for opportunities abroad, there are all sorts of schemes and projects that you can find online looking for people to join up, and you’ll often find they do things at a much cheaper cost or with many extras included in their offers.

For those who want something extra on their CV and want to travel, there’s TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). You can get courses from £99 which allow you to go to other countries and teach English – you’ll be learning a new culture, doing something worthwhile and getting paid for it!

Do some research, talk to people and go on discussion forums online to hear more about what people have done. The one downside of travelling is always going to be the money, but so is everything else that you’re going to eventually do. You might as well go for it!