UEA Pirates: The Season So Far

With Derby Day only a couple of weeks away will the UEA Pirates be playing or not?

The Tab caught up with UEA Pirates Quarterback Jack Anklesaria to talk about how their season has been going and take a look ahead to Derby Day.

How has the season been so far in a nutshell?

It’s been a successful season so far, with the team entering the holidays unbeaten. With our fixtures being against mid-table teams, we made hard work of a couple of wins due to slack execution and mental errors. The Christmas break gave the team a chance to work hard individually to iron out these errors.

Do you feel you are progressing on last season’s efforts?

Last season we progressed to the National plate semi-finals, the biggest achievement the Pirates have had in a while. This year we have set our target to reach the Championship playoff rounds. We are on target to achieve this, sitting on a 4-1 record with our only loss coming against the current defending National Champions.
Having also gained ‘Focus Sport’ status this year at UEA we are always trying to better ourselves and compete with the top American Football teams in the country.

Has the weather disrupted your schedules?

Inevitably, being an outdoor sport the snow has hindered our outdoor practice. We owe thanks to the UEA Angels Cheerleaders, who adapted their practice and allowed us to share indoor facilities for us to train on multiple occasions. Unfortunately the weather had affected the Essex Blades (3-3) pitch which caused them to have to cancel our fixture on Superbowl Sunday.

What’s the best part of Derby Day?

The atmosphere that surrounds Derby Day is incredible. Having not yet had a Home Derby Day, we’re looking forward to having the UEA campus full of Navy and Gold winning teams. The obvious celebrations then being had all day are brilliant before ending up in the LCR. Derby Day may be the main event of the week, however there will be a slight warm up night  on the Monday as we watch our own Steve Omanyondo (President and Middle Linebacker) dance his way to victory in UEA Strictly!

Are you confident of a victory on Derby Day?

Whether or not we play Derby Day is still undecided and is based on how far we progress in the National Playoffs. If we reach the latter rounds, then three games in eight days is unrealistic and an unsafe demand, due to the high contact and intensity of a match.

What’s in store for the rest of the season?

As aforementioned, we have a tougher schedule to see the season out.  Provided we play to our potential, second place will be a battle between ourselves and the Kent Falcons (4-0) (Colney Lane 24th Feb 1pm kick-off)