Tab Tries: Laser Society

We team up with Laser Soc as they take on great rivals Assassins in the Quasar Arena.

As a certified laser virgin, I was apprehensive about my first Laser Society social. The prospect of scrambling around in the dark inexpertly waving a gun in the face of 31 total strangers was not one I relished.

When I showed up at the Norwich Quasar Centre with the intention of just ‘having a chat’ and ‘taking a few photos’, society secretary, second year Env student Lewis Elmes, was having none of it.

Put ’em up

Eventually, I donned an oversized shield, grabbed a gun, and was plonked in with the Assassins Society team – the Laser Soc’s rivals.

The game is simple (I think…). Grab a gun, shoot the other team, don’t get shot and, if you can, make it into the other team’s base and shoot this dome shaped thing on the ceiling. Once you’ve shot it, get out as fast as you can, as it ‘kills’ everyone in the surrounding area. Pleasant!

When in doubt, hide.

Hiding in the team base was my initial strategy. I didn’t want to look like a complete tool in front of what appeared to be some quite seasoned gun handlers.

But ten minutes in and I was dodging red beams and shooting aimlessly to a resounding mix of Taylor Swift, Skrillex and Gangnam Style with everyone else.

Each game lasts around twenty minutes. After we played once, a child’s birthday party came in to use the arena. One of the kids greeted our presence with an appalled “Eugh teenagers”. We retreated to the pub next door.

Better than a night out in the LCR

The Coachmaker’s Arms, a rather sleepy establishment, had not been expecting the arrival of 31 laser enthusiasts and one Tab reporter – as was evident on the bartender’s face. But soon the beers were flowing and so was the fierce Assassins/Laser banter – with much speculation about what the forfeit would be for the society who lost the next game.

After a second round of lasering – during which a newfound confidence resulted in me dying no less than 259 times – the results were in.

My team lost – badly.

Despite a jammy victory by the Assassins in Game 1, the Laser Society (unsurprisingly) won overall. The forfeit fell to the Assassins president, Ezra Lucas, who gave a blushing, but enthusiastic, dramatic reading of a passage from Fifty Shades of Grey to the Quasar Centre at large.

Thankfully, the children’s party had already vacated the building.

The Highs:

•In the words of one of Laser’s few female members, 2nd Year Law student, Mona Shahrezaey: “You get to shoot lasers, what more do you want?!”
•It’s among the most open and least cliquey of societies I’ve tried.

The Lows:

•Lasers and strobe lighting can really start to give you a headache after a while.
•Gangnam Style – need I say any more?

To find out more have a look at the society’s Facebook page

For more info on Quasar Norwich click here