Finally, Good News For Rugby Fans!

Union Council votes to amend the Ethical Banking policy in a victory for students, although things still look bleak for sports societies.

| UPDATED natwest boycott uea news uea union union council

The Union’s Ethical Banking policy has seen it come under fire in recent weeks, with students branding it ‘power mad’ and ‘out-of-touch’.

But after a hotly contested debate on 24 January, Union Council have voted to amend the notorious policy, meaning RBS-sponsored rugby matches will now be shown in the Union Bar.

Gone but not forgotten

Members of the Korfball society submitted a motion to allow clubs and societies to apply for the RBS ESSA scheme, which recognises enterprising societies. Part of the motion included lifting the ban on RBS-sponsored sport being shown on campus.

Council members were clearly passionate about the issue, with plenty standing up to make their points. The Tab particularly enjoyed the reassuring voice of reason, John Taylor (better known as Pub Quiz Man,) urging the Council to let the policy lapse and begin a new one.

However, after points from the Union’s Environmental and Ethical Officers Benjamin Brown and Rosie Rawle, the Union Council decided to amend the amendment (causing confusion with not only the viewers of the live stream but with the councillors themselves).

The new amendment stated that, while the Union would still boycott the ESSA scheme, Union buildings would be allowed to show RBS-sponsored events.

The amendment was passed by 60 votes to 18.

This means students will be able to enjoy the Six Nations rugby in the Blue Bar, news that will be welcomed by many UEA Students.

Second year George Bruce said: “I’m just glad the Union is no longer being ridiculous and has found some common sense! Huzzah!”

Helen Fogg said: “I’m so happy about this! My faith has been restored in the Union!”

UEA’s boycott seems to have sparked a trend at other universities. Rosie Rawle said York, Reading, Bristol and Birmingham are planning their own RBS boycotts.

While those results remain to be seen, this small victory for sport fans may give the heavily criticised Union the boost of popularity it desperately needs.

Are you happy about the amendment to the boycott? Let us know in the comments section below!