Campus bank to close

UEA’s Natwest branch will close in February to be replaced by another bank.

The campus branch of Natwest is closing and could be replaced by a Co-operative bank, The Tab has learned.

The bank will shut on Wednesday 20 February at 3.30pm meaning campus residents’ nearest branch will be on Surrey Street, in the city centre.

A sign outside the bank alerting customers to the closure.

Ian Shemilt, a UEA academic, has started a petition against the closure. It currently has 550 signatures. Find the petition both in the branch and online by clicking here.

Mr Shemilt is concerned that the closure could leave students and staff with limited access to banking services.

He said: “There will soon be no branch to which you can travel there and back in a lunchtime…

I have 18 years’ experience of warm, friendly and efficient customer service provided by staff in the UEA branch…

Natwest will hopefully then recognise the strength of feeling against the closure within the UEA community and reverse their decision.”

Mr Shemilt also felt measures could be taken to save the branch. He said: “I have it on good authority that the manager of the branch could feasibly be replaced with a less senior member of staff…

Natwest might be less bothered about the student market now. They had reduced the benefits of the student offer, but they still have many staff and student customers.”

Mr Shemilt also told The Tab that Co-operative bank are planning to move into the building.

UEA Natwest staff members had been instructed not to talk to the media, but a head office spokesperson said: “Unfortunately, from time to time, we have to take the difficult decision to close a branch which is experiencing low demand. We have advised staff and are helping our customers to make alternative arrangements.”

Since 2010, the Union has had a policy to boycott RBS (which owns Natwest), but the closure is said to be unrelated to this stance. Union communications officer Matthew Myles said: “The closure of the Natwest branch on campus was not a result of this Union policy.”

The cash point outside Natwest will remain open. The news that the Co-operative bank will move into the empty building is yet to be confirmed by the Union.