DOUBLE CUP AGONY FOR UEA

UEA 0-1 Bedford 3rd: UEA suffer their first defeat of the season which sees them out of the BUCS Midlands Conference Cup.

UEA have suffered a damaging week that saw them bow out of the Cyrill Ballyn Cup on penalties at the weekend followed up by today’s loss at the hands of Bedford.

The early signs looked promising for UEA with the home side harrying the away team while looking confident with the ball displaying some neat triangles all over the pitch.

It was Bedford who had the first shot in anger though as the left winger managed to turn his man in the box and his deflected effort flashed behind for a corner.

From the resultant corner UEA were on the attack, an intelligent early ball from Beeson put Blackwell through one on one with the away keeper rushing out quickly to deny him.

UEA were no longer so imperious in possession and the pace of Bedford’s wingers was causing problems down the flanks sending dangerous crosses into the UEA area.

UEA had a chance to go into the break with the lead when Richards’ cross found its way into the path of the onrushing Beeson but his half volley flew over the bar.

UEA started much the better of the two sides but as the half wore on Bedford were beginning to edge it utilising the pacey wide men.

There were a couple of early second half chances for the home side, first a Blackwell header was sent just past the post. Soon after Richards found space down the right, he picked out Rerizani in the box but his goal bound effort was well blocked.

UEA were made to pay for their missed chances and perhaps fittingly it was one of the wingers that broke the deadlock. The Bedford man drifted in from the wing picking up the ball on the edge of the box and fired into the far corner.

UEA were struggling to create chances with Bedford still looking dangerous on the break. Heading into the final minutes the home side won a free-kick in a dangerous position but Hastings’ effort looped over the bar.

In truth after the initial exchanges UEA never got going, neither side created an abundance of opportunities but Bedford made one count to take a narrow victory. A disappointing week for the Yellows who look to bounce back on Saturday.