Five Tips to Help You Through Uni: Tip 4

Katie Monks gives her fourth tip of her series, on stress.

I can understand that by tip number four in this series of warnings about university, some of you might be feeling a little overwhelmed. So much information. So much to watch out for. To me it seems about time we discussed…

Stress.

This may not seem like an important issue to some of you, but to others, the idea of being completely independent for the first time in your life, the stresses of work and the pressure to be the social butterfly of campus (Yes, this can be a pressure) can be a lot to handle all at once.

I know quite a few students who, in their first year, had to use the university counselling sessions as they felt that everything was just too much. And who can blame them? What with the expectation to be able to support yourself without having to resort to inquiring at the bank of  Mum and Dad. Then the pressure to cook and eat well or even cook for others in your flat without poisoning anyone. Oh and the pressure of trying to get to know people in the first week so that you can get by for the rest of the year. Never forgetting, the pressure to do well in your studies, but at the same time not be a bore and ignore opportunities to be social…It can be a huge weight on your shoulders.

My advice here is to just take some time, breathe, and try to figure out what you want from your time at university. Balance and moderation is the key and if you need someone to let out the frustration to, the counselling sessions and Nightline are right there. It’s also a good idea to try to get as much sleep as you can, you are less likely to over-stress yourself if you are well-rested.

Information about UEA Counselling service can be found at here
Nightline is a helpline of students for students, phone 01603 503504 or access their online listening service here