Meningitis victim given only fever tablets by doctors

Rebecca Edward was discharged days before her death

Law student Rebecca Edward was discharged from RVI days before her death after only being prescribed fever tablets.

The 22-year-old died on October 1st just weeks after arriving in England from Malaysia.

Her brother has come forward to say she was discharged from the RVI only days before with flu medication after experiencing sickness and fever.

Rebecca will be sadly missed

Jeffrey Elvin told the Malaysian Star: “The next day, her housemates said they found her unconscious.

“As she was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, they said Rebecca stopped breathing and couldn’t be revived.”

Although Rebecca’s death has been confirmed as meningitis related by Public Health England, a spokesman for the RVI has said that the details of Rebecca’s treatment cannot be discussed.

Jeffrey told the Chronicle that since Rebecca’s death, their family have flown to Newcastle to speak with doctors and to organise flying her body back home.

He told the Mirror: “We hope they can give us an explanation on the process and speed it up as we want to bring her home and give her a proper burial.”

Rebecca’s family are in discussion with the RVI

Rebecca, who had flown over to complete her third and final year of Law at Northumbria University, will be sadly missed.

The Newcastle Chronicle quoted Rebecca’s housemate Venothani Rajagopal: “Rebecca was the girl with the million dollar smile.

“When we first landed at Newcastle Airport she was excited to start her new journey here. She is a wonderful friend and with her cheerful personality she could get along with everybody.”

A spokesman for the university has said: “Meningococcal bacteria does not spread easily. Those students and staff identified as being in prolonged close contact with the student concerned in the days before she became ill have been offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure.”

“We offer our deepest condolences to her family and friends.”