Newcastle University ranks second best North East uni by former students, new study shows

Newcastle University also ranked 23rd in Top UK Universities ranking

Newcastle University has ranked second among the best north east universities, according to a new study by UniCompare. This ranking is based on reviews from current and former university students.

It ranked above the likes of Durham, Sunderland and Teesside University.

The university followed behind Northumbria University, which ranked exceptionally high in all aspects and was rated the best university in the north east.

Here’s the best to worst ranking of north east universities:

1. Northumbria University
  2. Newcastle University
  3. Durham University
  4. University of Sunderland
  5. Teesside University

Newcastle University is also ranked 23rd by UniCompare in the top 100 Universities in the UK overall. This ranking was based on accommodation, course quality, student social life, graduate careers and overall recommendation.

The data was gathered via several email campaigners sent to all students and users of Uni Compare with a 2022 start year and below, as well as a small social campaign considering students outside of the user database, based on 65,015 ratings and 13,003 reviews from current and former students.

Newcastle University was recommended by 97 per cent of students in the top 100 rankings. This comes after the previous rankings by The Times and The Guardian.

According to The Times Good University Guide, Newcastle ranked 37th place out of 113 UK universities. The ranking was based on teaching quality, student experience, research quality, entry standards, graduate prospects, number of firsts/2:1s, continuation rate and student-staff ratio.

However, The Guardian University Guide ranked Newcastle in 63rd place in comparison. This ranking was also based on similar scales such as student satisfaction, student-to-teacher ratio and overall career prospects.

The full list of university rankings by UniCompare can be found here.