Here’s how you can take part in the Reclaim the Night events in Manchester this week

There will be a series of events, fundraising activities and campaign actions

Reclaim the Night is an annual campaign against sexual harassment and gender-based violence. Each year they march on the streets to raise awareness and to bring an end to violence against women and women’s right to feel safe on the streets at night.

This year the campaign will be “Reclaiming the Night” through a series of events from 16th-19th of March consisting of events, fundraising activities and campaign actions.

The campaign said: “This year has shown that sexual violence on our streets and in our homes, is as prevalent as ever. While the current coronavirus restrictions mean that we can’t come together to march, we will still unite, to amplify the voices of women, and challenge sexual violence and street harassment.”

The first of their events will take place from 1-2pm on 16th March called ‘Listen, Believe, Support’, which will be a discussion with Manchester Rape Crisis about the support services they offer to students in Manchester.

Other events are: Responding to Disclosures, a virtual banner-making session, a talk on public sexual harassment, and a Reclaim the Night virtual march.

Due to coronavirus restrictions all of the events will take place online via Zoom.

Before the pandemic Reclaim the Night marched 2.4 kilometres down Oxford Road, however they have said: “Sadly, this year we can’t come together to voice our anger, but we can still make a difference.So, we’re asking you to take part in the Reclaim the Night 2021 Challenge.

“Walk, run, or wheel the length of the march (2.4K), donate £5, and nominate other individuals and societies to do the same! You can take part and donate to our JustGiving page here.

“Or join our team by clicking the Just-Giving link and set up your own JustGiving page as a group, individual or society. Then you can compete with others to see who can raise the most!

“All of the money raised will go to The Pankhurst Trust (incorporating Manchester Women’s Aid) who do amazing work to support victims of domestic abuse.

“Let’s join together to Reclaim the Night!”

You can find out more about the events taking place via the University of Manchester’s Student Union website here.

The campaign has also launched an interactive map for students to be able to pinpoint where they have had certain experiences in Manchester, with a colour-coded system as to which areas are more dangerous.

You can sign their petition in the “fight against gender-based violence and harassment by demanding Manchester City Council and Greater Manchester Universities to increase CCTV and street lighting in student areas”, here.

The campaign also have a page which offers support to those who have experienced sexual harassment and provides signposts to places in which to report incidents.