Killer of MMU Professor Jailed

Axiang Du guilty of killing Professor and his family

anxiang du jifeng ding man met Manchester Metropolitan mmu Murder professor

Anxiang Du, the man who murdered a Man Met lecturer two years ago, has been jailed for life.

Prof Ding (left) on holiday with his family

Du stabbed to death Professor Jifeng “Jeff” Ding and his family on the day of the Royal Wedding in April 2011.

He must serve a minimum of 40 years in prison before any chance of parole.

Professor Ding was a Chemical and Environment Science academic at Manchester Metropolitan University.

The murder took place after a ten year legal battle between the two men, following a dispute over a herbal medicine business deal.

Du eventually lost the court battle against Prof Ding, and owed him over £80,000 in legal costs.

Man Met Uni, where Prof Ding taught

“Ding’s daughters were callously murdered”

The court heard that Mr. Du went round to Ding’s house and asked the professor for money.

But when the former Man Met scientist refused he was stabbed 23 times, his wife 13 times and both of his daughters were callously murdered.

Harrowed jurors were played a recording of the desperate 999 call made from a mobile phone belonging to Alice, one of Professor Ding’s daughters, while she lay dying from her wounds.

The recording featured the screams of both daughters, aged 18 and 12.

Evil, Du will spend the rest of his life in jail

Du eventually escaped to Morocco, but was found and arrested 14 months later.

Mrs Ding’s father, Zuyao Cui, said: “When the two families heard about this, it was like the whole sky had fallen down.

“We all cried together. The evidence being presented in court felt like I was being stabbed in the heart”.

Passing the sentence, Mr Justice Flaux summed up Du’s evil actions, telling him: “There can be no doubt that this was savage butchery on your part.”