Yoga, henna and embroidery: Inside Liverpool University’s Abercromby Square student encampment

‘We are turning it into a space for fighting for freedom and equality for everyone – more specifically, Palestine’

Over a month after its initial erection, the student encampment in support of Palestine continues to occupy University of Liverpool’s campus, with demonstrators still taking stance within Abecromby Square.

Student participation has grown since tents were pitched on the square on May 6th, with the array of gazebos and banners becoming a physical display of the community’s support for Palestinians amidst current conflict in Gaza.

The Liverpool Tab visited the square to speak to student protestors inside the camp about their aims, achievements and the day to day activities which take place within the newly-renamed Liberated Area of “Alareer Square”.

The occupation, which can be viewed clearly from of the windows of the Sydney Jones library, has grown substantially in its eight weeks of its existence. After spending time shadowing activities within the gates of Abercromby Square, and discussing motivations with campers, it has become evident that these protesting students are doing more than what meets the eye when it comes to establishing their encampment.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

Protesters intend to remain within the occupation until their stated demands are met by University of Liverpool’s senior management team. The students are calling for the university to conduct complete divestment in “zionist entities” which form much of the institution’s research practices, as well as full transparency to staff and students regarding the university’s investments and spending.

Also within their document of demands is a call for University of Liverpool to recognise the conflict in Gaza, call for an immediate ceasefire, and commit to a promise that no detriment will be caused to university employees partaking in the on-campus encampment.

What appears to be a space which hosts a physical protest, is also a liberating space for intellectual discussion and the cultivation of a cultural community. The encampment’s Teach Out events (which aim to educate participants on all aspects of the conflict, as well as current political and academic issues) and yoga, arts and crafts afternoons, and celebrations for religious holidays such as Eid Mubarak, prove that Liverpool’s demonstrators are focused on the longevity of their actions rather than simply occupying on-campus locations to prove a point.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

An unnamed student partaking in the Abercromby Square encampment spoke out about the fundamental reasoning behind the protest actions being directed from their community hub, which are mainly fuelled by a collective disagreement against the University of Liverpool’s investment in arms trades benefitting the Israeli army.

They said: “The genocide is at the forefront of this movement. This seems like an obvious statement but we have not been given much choice. Genocide is something that requires a response, a resistance.”

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

The camp also hosts other events which are less intellectually demanding – many of which aim to celebrate Palestinian culture. Through these mechanisms, they aim to create a space which enables open minded discussion and promote inclusivity. Existing amongst activities such as rallies, banner making, and political workshops, are occasions for students and protesters alike to partake in collective Jumma’a prayer on a Friday afternoon, listen to traditional Palestinian music and support local artists, and create garments using Tatreez, a form of Palestinian embroidery. 

Student speakers from the camp, who wish to remain anonymous, highlighted the importance of establishing a community within the camp whilst also engaging in political demonstrations around the city.

They said: “We are not fighting for Palestine because its Palestine as a single issue, we are fighting for Palestine because we resist all forms of imperialism and oppression. Remembering that means that we need a movement that includes everyone”.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

Prior to the Abercromby Square encampment, a student campaign under the name Vote BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) called for change regarding the university’s involvement in developing arms for the Israeli army. A large majority of students indicated a desire for the university to provide greater support to Palestinian students and academics, as well as a preference for their wider participation in university life to have no direct correlation to the ongoing conflict in Gaza.

A referendum held in March of this year resulted in 1243 votes in support of the BDS campaign, which was proposed by the Liverpool Guild of Students in accordance with the university’s democratic processes. Staff, students, protesters, and Pro-Palestine demonstrations voted in favour of the student union lobbying the university, in alignment with the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions proposed by the campaign group.

The Abercromby Square encampment is, according to students involved in the demonstration, currently existing as a permanent reminder to the university to be held accountable for the result of the referendum. Multiple students have told The Liverpool Tab that whilst there are various broader reasons for the creation of the camp, the main aim is to force the university to listen to their demands and negotiate with their beliefs.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

The presence of the camp is reflective of the lengths the students will go to in order to get their voices heard. Despite the challenges they have taken on, members of the encampment group continue to acknowledge their privilege as students.

A anonymous student at the University of Liverpool explained the significance behind the encampment, and why the group are continuing to recruit new members. They said: “People think that we are doing this from a position of privilege, the truth is that we are. But that’s the point.

“Students can act in ways that others can’t and are treated more leniently. This is exactly why it’s important that we are the ones acting.”

The increasing frequency of university-based encampments in response to the conflict illustrates how students are utilising historical forms of activism in order to encourage change. Similar acts of protest showcasing support for Palestinians have been established in university cities across the world, including nationally within the UK. Encampments in London, Cardiff, Birmingham, and Lancaster are some of many occupations occurring alongside the Abercromby Square demonstrations.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

The Liverpool encampment is one of many on-campus demonstrations which is using social media in order to educate outsiders and bridge the gap between students and their academic institutions. Alongside internally renaming the square itself, the group named themselves the “Students of Alareer Square” on their Instagram page (@lvrpool_enc) in honour of Palestinian professor and poet, Refaat Alareer.

In conversation with one individual from the encampment, Alareer’s legacy is said to be “something incredibly important” t0 the protesting students, and that they intend to use his name to inspire others to continue their fight for peace and freedom. They explained that Abercromby Square was chosen for the site of the encampment due to its historical oppression, and therefore named in response to modern perceptions of its political significance.

The same students said: “This used to be where systems of oppression were based and now we are turning it into a space for fighting for freedom and equality for everyone – more specifically, Palestine”.

Protestors have shared photo evidence of their activities and progress via the official encampment Instagram account. Statements detailing the group’s demands and updating followers on recent protest actions – such as the occupation of the Brett Building and Sydney Jones library on the university campus – are uploaded frequently, as well as call-outs for more students to join the encampment.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

Whilst the daily actions of the encampment are important to a vast majority of students, the main point of focus for many is the progress status of negotiations between the camp and the university.

Recent communications uploaded via the encampment’s official social media channels have highlighted that negotiations with the senior management team at the university have been placed on hold, only weeks after the protest group secured a meeting with Tim Jones – the UoL vice chancellor. A post on the @lvrpool_enc page explains that the university have “failed to deliver signatures on our baseline demands, despite these being promised by Friday 7th June at the latest”.

The university is yet to agree on the possibility of securing Palestinian scholarships, as well as protections against accusations of anti-semitism and ensuring the economic stability of employees at the university itself. Current negotiations between the two parties appear to have paused.

Spokespeople on behalf of the Students of Alareer Square group have expressed their disappointment at the negotiation process as of now, responding instead with hopes that “concerns for our safety are addressed and that future negotiation meetings are far more fruitful.”

An insider perspective of Liverpool’s organisation of protesting students evidently proves that these individuals are confident that until these demands are met, the encampment will maintain pursuing its other actions to further their cause. Urgent calls to action and community events continue to be showcased via their social media channels, with demonstrators continuing to commit to their beliefs and demands.

via @fin_.macleod on Instagram

The Liverpool Tab has approached the University of Liverpool for comment regarding the ongoing encampment upon its campus grounds. In a subsequent statement delivered by the university’s deputy vice chancellor, Professor Richard Black, the institution itself has been praised as “a place for debate and for freedom of speech, which may include peaceful protest,”

He goes on to respond to the demands of the demonstrators and Students of Alareer Square protest group, despite negotiations between the two parties being put on hold following further protest actions as of late. Regarding the university’s supposed funding of arms distribution to the Israeli army, he said: “Given that we are regularly asked, I can confirm that we have no Israeli companies in our investment portfolio.”

Professor Black then continues to reassure that UoL “will also continue to host and welcome scholars and students from universities in the region through our Humanitarian Scholarships scheme, which is open to students from Palestine and Gaza,” in recognition of the protest group’s demand for the university to provide “assistance in rebuilding Palestinian educational infrastructure”.

The deputy vice chancellor’s statement concludes with a reiteration of his plea for support for those affected by “behaviour that goes beyond ‘free speech’,” as well as a sense of understanding regarding the university’s commitments and attempts at conversing with demonstrators since the beginning of the encampment.

Professor Richard Black’s statement in full can be read here.