Breaking: Lecturers to strike in Liverpool this month

Every single UK university will be affected across three days in November

University of Liverpool lecturers will be striking for three days later this month.

The University and College Union (UCU) is set to initiate the biggest ever round of strikes this month over better pay, pensions and working conditions. It is estimated that over 70,000 staff across 150 universities will take part in the nationwide action, which could impact as many as 2.5 million students.

Liverpool, along with every other university in the UK, will be affected on the following days:

• Thursday 24th November
  • Friday 25th November
  • Wednesday 30th November

According to UCU, “disruption can be avoided if employers act fast and make improved offers. If they don’t, strike action will escalate in the New Year alongside a marking and assessment boycott.”

The strikes are backed by The National Union of Students (NUS). Its vice president of higher education Chloe Field said: “The struggles we face as students are inextricably linked to the reasons that staff are striking.”

“High rents, astronomical international student fees, and cuts to maintenance support have happened for the same reasons that staff are suffering under huge workloads – the failed marketisation of the sector which has put profit above staff and student well-being.”

“As the workers of the future, students have everything to gain from UCU members winning this fight.”