‘It was very powerful’: Thousands gather for Liverpool’s BLM protests

Organisers gave protestors masks and water

Thousands took part in protests in Liverpool City Centre on Sunday 31st May and Tuesday 2nd June to raise awareness for the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement.

The protests, organised by @fireflyfighters who organise events around Liverpool to raise awareness for the BLM movement, were attended by over 1000 people and hosted speeches and chants by local artists.

Liverpool Lime Street Station, St. George’s Hall and St. Luke’s Church all became stages for speeches and chants by the organisers @fireflyfighters, actor Kolade T. Ladipo and singer Emily Kenwright.

Image credit: @design_sct

Third-year Djamilla told The Liverpool Tab: “It was very powerful. We knelt for the same amount of time as the officer had his knee on George Floyd’s neck.”

“After every minute we would chant ‘Black Lives Matter’. It was very moving seeing everyone come together”

Djamilla added how the organisers were abiding by safety precautions as much as possible: “It’s important to note that the organisers were walking around telling people to keep apart and kept reminding us throughout. There were also people handing out masks and water.”

“I think the turnout and solidarity with the black community shows how the people of Liverpool are all united in the same cause against racism. Not too long ago we petitioned for some of our halls to be renamed as they were named after slave traders. This was one of the many changes we must push for, and a step in the right direction.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBIPocHgTHV/

Amy, a Liverpool John Moore’s University student, told The Tab that she believed the protests were crucial for students to partake in: “I feel that universities do not do enough alone to promote changes in traditions and therefore we need to take part in external movements to fight the cause. Liverpool has such a community spirit to it and you feel like you’re part of a family when protesting.”

“Students need to understand that their voices are necessary when fighting for change.”