A man has died after a fatal stabbing in Liverpool city centre last night

The incident happened on Hanover Street.

A 20 year old man has sadly died after being stabbed in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of this morning. Emergency services were called to Hanover Street at around 4am this morning due to reports of the 20 year old being a victim of a knife attack.

Paramedic's took the man to hospital; however, he later died from his injuries.

There is currently a large police presence on Hanover Street as investigations are carried out into the events of early this morning. Forensics have been on the scene from 9 o'clock onward this morning and more police have recently arrived at the scene. It has been noted that officers are also in place along Wood Street near PopWorld as they carry out in-depth investigations.

Hanover Street is a main street in the city centre, just down from Concert Square and just up from Liverpool One; it is a busy street that attracts a lot of traffic and pedestrians. Bus routes in the area have been changed and delays are expected for some time as the road is cordoned off until further notice. Students should be aware that this includes services 79 and 86. Road closures have been in place since half 8 this morning.

Forensic evidence is currently being collected with markers being put down on the pavement to conserve any evidence. The disruptions are currently attracting large crowds around the area this Sunday afternoon.

Detective Superintendent Lee Turner told the Liverpool Echo: "Knife crime will not be tolerated in Merseyside and those caught carrying a weapon will be brought to justice."

"Carrying or using any dangerous weapon does not offer protection and in fact often puts you and those around you at more risk. These weapons can have severe consequences and we will not stand for this criminal behaviour."

Police are yet to make any breakthroughs with the case. However, they are urging any witnesses or people who may hold vital information to come forward. They are asked to call 101 or contact CrimestoppersUK on 0800 555 111.