Patient Found Dead in Hospital Grounds

Police are investigating the death of an elderly man, whose body was found in the Royal University Hospital grounds

Royal University Hospital

The body of an elderly gentleman was found in the grounds of the Royal University Hospital in the early hours of Valentine’s Day after he was reported missing from his ward several hours earlier.

Police are now investigating the death of the 80 year old, who went missing from his ward several hours before his body was found.

The man was found in the early hours of Thursday morning

The body is yet to be formally identified although his next of kin have been informed.

A spokesman for the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust said:

“Within 30 minutes of the patient last being seen on the ward, a hospital-wide search was launched and, within the hour, the police were informed.

“Patients are free to leave the wards at their will and we have protocols for facilitating patients’ movements to and from the wards.

We also have a robust procedure for searching for patients if they leave the ward unexpectedly and for reporting if they are missing, all of which were followed in this case.”

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.