Applications to join The Lincoln Tab’s editorial team are now OPEN

We’re recruiting for Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and Social Media Editor

The Lincoln Tab are now recruiting for our 2023/24 editorial team. From breaking news stories around campus, fun features and exciting guides, The Tab offers great industry experience for anyone interested in journalism.

The positions available are Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and Social Media Editor.

Applications from all students are welcome regardless of previous experience, year or degree, but you do have to attend the University of Lincoln. You’ll have training from experienced editors to get you up and running and even work with a professional journalist at Tab HQ!

The deadline for applications is 23:59 Friday 5th May. 

You don’t need to have written for The Lincoln Tab before, but, as these are editorial roles, some journalistic experience would certainly help. This could include work from other publications or personal blogs etc. – regardless, give it a go!

Most of all, we’re looking for somebody who is enthusiastic about Lincoln and student life. We want someone with energy, charisma and dedication.

If you have questions about any of the roles then don’t hesitate to contact us on Instagram or Facebook. Or, feel free to contact our Editor in Chief Grace directly via Insta.

Editor in Chief

As Editor in Chief you’ll oversee the entire team of writers and lead the direction of our coverage.

You should be prepared to write your own pieces throughout the year and help the team in breaking the biggest stories on campus. You will also be in charge of ensuring all content, both written and social, is consistent with The Lincoln Tab’s standard of quality and tone of voice.

You’ll also be the main link to The Tab HQ and be supported by a journalist at HQ running The Lincoln Tab team.

The role is incredibly rewarding and a great experience to have no matter what career you go into later. Managing a large team in a fast-paced and exciting environment, you should be friendly and supportive to new and existing writers; thorough in editing articles and have a keen eye for the stories that will make an impact.

Having experience as Editor in Chief at a publication with thousands of readers grants you the experience to connect directly with the industry of writing and journalism, as well as develop leadership skills along the way.

News Editor

You’ll be responsible for making sure The Lincoln Tab continues to chase the biggest and most exciting scoops across campus.

This role often involves needing to react to fast-paced and changing stories as they develop on the day. You need to be able to sniff out a good story when you see one. You will also need to contact organisations and people for comment, as well as fact check and provide sources. Employers generally love News roles – they prove you’re quick under pressure, attentive and sharp.

Above all, you will hold the responsibility to bring important news stories to audiences around Lincoln university – making a difference and providing stories to the public. You’ll work alongside the Editor-in-Chief to write weekly and edit articles.

You’ll be working on stories just like these:

Lincoln City Council cancels the city’s famous Christmas Market after 40 years

Lincoln students raise over £1,100 for Turkey-Syria earthquake victims

Lincoln MP called out on fake blue plaque on the Brayford

Features Editor

As Features Editor you’ll be in charge of writing and editing the most fun and ridiculous feature pieces.

You’ll be able to cover every aspect of student life from nightlife to fashion and food. There’s a lot of room to be creative in this role and we want someone who is witty, opinionated and knows what’s relevant to students. These articles are full of fun, and students absolutely love reading them – so you’ll garner a big audience for sure.

Rating Lincoln students’ pancake day attempts: The sweet and the unsavoury

POV: Lincoln buildings DM you on Tinder

The worst places in Lincoln to avoid when planning pre-drinks

Social Media Editor

As Social Media Editor you’ll have creative control over our Instagram, Twitter and Facebook!

You will have an eye for the latest trends, memes and aesthetics as well as coming up with creative TikTok ideas to help develop our video journalism. We want you to keep up with Lincoln gossip, create fun and engaging content on the Insta stories and feed to work to grow all the social media accounts. You must be comfortable showing your face in video content as you will be expected to regularly create vox pops interviewing students on campus or nights out.

The Lincoln influence and impact across campus are reliant on a top-notch social media game. This job is suited to someone who loves the ins and outs of social media and wants to gain some real experience (which looks great on your CV).

If you think you’ve got what it takes and want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out the Google form below. We’d love to hear from all of you and if in doubt, just go for it. Good luck!