Lincoln Uni ‘regrets’ scrubbing out Sarah Everard memorial messages

‘Any new chalk messages will not be removed’

Across the university campus, messages written in chalk alongside a memorial for Sarah Everard showing solidarity and calling for gender equality were removed on Thursday (March 18th).

The messages included statistics on sexual violence and personal messages were seen written in chalk across the benches, walls, and floor.

Benches on campus before all the messages were wiped away

In a tweet, the University of Lincoln expressed they regretted the chalk messages being wiped away from the benches. They said: “All of us here regret that the chalk messages were removed. We came together to remember Sarah Everard this week, to raise awareness of violence against women. We shared our stories in the fabric of the uni. Women must have a voice and any new chalk messages will not be removed.”

The university confirmed in their tweet “any new chalk messages will not be removed.”

Lincoln High Street

Vigils across the campus are still up, including chalk messages on the pavement up and down the High Street, as a result of Lincoln’s “I am part of the 97 per cent” event that took place over the weekend.

The University of Lincoln also held an online vigil in memoriam of Sarah Everard on Tuesday (March 16th).

Sarah Everard was last seen walking home on the 3rd March 2021 in Clapham, and her remains were found on the 10th March in a wooded area in Ashford, Kent. Wayne Couzens, a Metropolitan Police Officer, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and murder.

Her disappearance and death has brought forward a larger conversation surrounding women’s safety on the streets, as well as the publication of a report that found 97 per cent of women have experienced sexual harassment. Both of these events have created a strong movement across the country, resulting in the messages of support being drawn across Lincoln.