Leeds Trinity follows Beckett in adopting safety net policy

The University of Leeds hasn’t followed suit

Leeds Trinity has confirmed that it will introduce a safety net policy to mitigate the effects of the ongoing pandemic on the learning of its students.

This comes after Leeds Beckett introduced a safety net policy a few weeks ago, becoming the first university in the UK to do so.

Leeds Trinity says its safety net policy has been designed to “ensure that the integrity of academic results is maintained, whilst recognising the practical, social and emotional challenges students have had to face, particularly during periods of national lockdown.”

Degree calculations would be carried out with a “guarantee” that students will be awarded the best outcome from five specified methods, and an increased number of extensions for assessments in the second semester.

Professor Charles Egbu, Vice-Chancellor at Leeds Trinity University, told The Yorkshire Evening Post: “Our priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of every Leeds Trinity student whilst ensuring that they are not academically disadvantaged due to the ongoing circumstances.

“With this in mind, the new Safety Net Policy has been designed to recognise the challenges our students have been faced with, whilst ensuring we protect the value of their degree.

“We appreciate how difficult this period has been for students, and this policy is one of a series of measures we have put in place to ensure students feel supported from a practical, social and wellbeing perspective.”

The University of Leeds has so far refused to implement a safety net policy, despite calls from Leeds University Union to reconsider its position.

Leeds Uni students have also launched a petition to “save our grades.”

You can sign the petition here.