COVID-19 cases at Leeds Uni fall by 34 per cent compared with the previous week

91 new coronavirus cases were confirmed among the uni community last week

The University of Leeds has revealed that 91 new cases of coronavirus were recorded within the uni community last week, compared with 138 new cases the week before.

This means that the number of new cases among staff and students has plummeted by 34 per cent compared with the previous week.

This is the third week in a row in which cases have fallen.

As of Sunday 25th October, there were still 128 active active cases within the uni community, down from 228 the previous week.

The same Sunday was also significant as it marked the first day in which there were absolutely no new student cases recorded, although two members of staff did test positive for the virus.

Way back in Freshers’ Week, there were 129 new student cases confirmed on 1st October alone.

Credit: SWNS stock photo

Whereas significant progress has been made in curbing the rise of coronavirus on campus, the same cannot be said for the rest of Leeds.

The University of Leeds’s community (staff and students) is 47,2000 strong, meaning that the rate per 100,000 is roughly 271.2 (correct to 25th October). In Leeds as a whole, the number of coronavirus cases per 100,000 people currently stands at 420.6.

Hospitalisations are also up significantly in Leeds. Yesterday, Leeds Teaching Hospitals tweeted: “We have 263 patients in our beds who have tested positive for COVID-19, including 22 in intensive care.

“This means we have more COVID-19 patients in our hospitals than at the peak of the pandemic in mid-April.”

The Government and local leaders continue to discuss the possibility of placing Leeds and West Yorkshire into a Tier 3 lockdown which would involve the closure of pubs and bars.