Second Leeds Uni student tested for coronavirus at Ellerslie Global residences

Medics in hazmat suits were spotted

A Leeds University student has been tested for coronavirus. An ambulance and medics in hazmat suits were sighted outside Ellerslie Global residences on University campus.

An image was circulated on Instagram stories of the sighting on Lyddon Terrace earlier today.

This comes as confirmed cases of the virus in the UK increased to 51 as of 9am today (3rd March) from 39 yesterday. Whilst this is a dramatic increase and Boris Johnson has warned there could be a ‘significant expansion’ of cases in the UK, this is only the second suspected case of a Leeds University student since the outbreak. The first case was confirmed as negative, but the results and identity of this case are still unknown.

To deal with the growing threat and concern on the spread of the virus, Leeds general Infirmary and Wharfedale Hospital have installed two coronavirus pods for the isolation and treatment of patients. These pods are intended to prevent the spread of the virus.

Three other patients have been confirmed to have the virus in Yorkshire, with two patients in Leeds and one in Bradford.

Despite the increase in conformed cases, over 13,500 people have been tested for the virus in the UK so far so the public are being reminded to remain calm.

Advice for students can be found on the University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University websites.