Image may contain: Club, Leisure Activities, Spring Break, Night Life, Party, Crowd, Tourist, Vacation, Person, Human

‘Leeds is a place which turns its face upside down during the night’: How it feels to move from India to Leeds

If this doesn’t give you anxiety, I don’t know what will.

Moving to another country is scary. Coming from India, I did not know what to expect. My first impressions of the city made me feel calm. The beauty was taking over me, or one could say it was the feeling of start of something new that made all the difference. Throughout the drive, there were a million thoughts running through my mind. "Will I fit in?", "Will I make friends?" and most of all, "What if I fail?"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8ltPYFIyp

I reached the reception at The Sky Plaza, and realised I was definitely not the only fish in the pond that was going through these feelings. There were many more people who seemed to be lost and unsure about what was going to happen once university starts. Luckily for me, my roommates were incredibly sweet. Coming from different parts of the world I got to understand and realise how different we are from one another but despite our differences, friendship can bridge all the gaps.

Image may contain: Night Life, Skin, Clothing, Apparel, People, Night Club, Club, Smile, Party, Face, Person, Human

Trust me, if you don't have good roommates, you might as well pack your bags already and look for a new place to stay because these are the people you are always going to bump into, no matter how much you try to avoid them. If you can't mingle with them, well, let's just say that they are going to be yet another problem in your long list of problems that are going to rise once university starts.

Fast forward to the induction when I was taken victim of the universities confusing campus and realised I was late. Thankfully, my induction was not in The Roger Stevens Building, or I think I would still be looking for the room today. Does ANYOBDY understand that place yet?

In a room full of almost 200 students it is easy to go unnoticed. Luckily for me, I was taken by surprise when I realised that one of my classmates whom I did my undergraduate with was also at the university. Bumping into her was a gift because not only did we have things to talk about, but I also had another person who felt so lost like I did. Thankfully, uni is the easiest place to make friends and Leeds is no exception, as I became friends with people in my class and seminar groups.

While my course started with a great start one thing that took my sleeping pattern by surprise was the number of readings and essay we had in hand. Above all however, it was the fear of plagiarism, the fear that would haunt any student. The number of times you hear that word around uni is honestly what nightmares are made of.

One thing is for sure, Leeds is a place which turns its face upside down during the night. In the morning you would find people just going about their daily business, but once night lands on the city centre, let's just say, that the party has only just begun.

Image may contain: Helmet, Apparel, Clothing, Crowd, Night Life, Leisure Activities, Night Club, Club, Human, Person

Another thing that struck me in Leeds was the fashion. No matter how cold it gets, you will find people having the time of their lives with their fashion choices. From people wearing stylish and chic clothes around the library, to girls like me who would be dressed from head to toe in winter gear, Leeds always had a number of options and a place of acceptance for everyone. No matter where you are from or what you do, this place will always welcome you with a warm hug (apart from on a Sunday. On Sunday Leeds looks like a place hit by apocalypse. TRUST ME.)

Image may contain: Jacket, Long Sleeve, Sleeve, Shoe, Footwear, Pants, Overcoat, Human, Person, Coat, Apparel, Clothing

One thing is for sure, these three and a half months in Leeds has given me a new home. A place to always come back to and a place to always smile. Most of all, it has given me the patience to write a 6000 word essay, while still having a great time with new friends. Thank you Leeds.