Leeds student accommodation has failed fire safety checks following the Grenfell Tower tragedy

They’re made of the same cladding as Grenfell Tower

Privately owned University of Leeds accommodation, Concept Place on Park Lane and Sky Plaza on Clay Pit Lane, have failed what has been described as “cladding combustibility tests”.

Brigade chiefs have suggested interim safety measures for the buildings, including smoke detector checks and the provision of a 24/7 fire watch, while further tests are carried out.

WYFRS senior fire protection manager Chris Kemp said: “West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is taking swift action upon notification of a cladding test failure and we are making the relevant checks, in line with Government guidance, within a 24-hour period.”

He continued: “We are working as hard as possible with landlords and managing agents to enhance fire safety within the buildings but it’s important that residents also do their bit to be vigilant to prevent any outbreak of fire and make sure they know the evacuation procedures in place for their building.

The other buildings to have failed are Park Plaza hotel, Waterside Apartments and Waterloo Court Apartments.

When contacted, the university has said: “Following the tragic fire at Grenfell high rise flats in London, the University wants to reassure its students, staff and other campus users that their safety is an absolute priority.

The University is conducting a range of precautionary assessments of its buildings. Our immediate focus is on our residential buildings and we are also working to provide the same level of assurance across our entire estate. Only a very small number of our owned residential buildings have any cladding material and we are currently assessing the materials used, as well as seeking assurance in relation to those student residences owned by private providers.

We have contacted students in these buildings, in relation to the latest developments, to offer advice in line with West Yorkshire Fire Service guidelines”.