Cyclist dies in huge car crash on Kirkstall Road

A car crashed into two shops

A VW Golf crashed into shops along Kirkstall Road at 11:30pm last night, and West Yorkshire police have reported that a 33-year-old male cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.

The car was seen travelling towards the city centre when it overturned and crashed into a line of shops, causing significant damage to two properties, and closing the A65 road between Milford Place and Bamburgh Street at Cardigan Fields. It reopened around mid-afternoon.

The driver of the car was taken immediately to Leeds General Infirmary, where he is currently in a stable condition, but in intensive care.

The closure understandably created havoc in the streets, with long delays on other roads as well as drivers tried to find alternative routes.

Two men in a Vauxhall Passat are believed to be involved in the incident, and they have both been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. Aged 23, and 36, both from Leeds, they are currently in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Spencer, who is investigating the situation, has said: “This is clearly a very serious incident that has resulted in a man’s death and we are carrying out extensive enquiries to establish the full circumstances.

“A scene is currently in place in Kirkstall Road and will be undergoing detailed forensic examination throughout the day. Work is also ongoing to make safe the shop premises that were damaged.”

Police are appealing for witnesses to contact them.