19-year-old dies after taking MDMA on night out in Leeds

She fell ill at Pryzm on Monday night

A 19-year-old has died after taking ecstasy on a night out in Leeds.

The girl was at Pryzm on Monday night when she fell ill, and was taken to St James’s Hospital.

She died in the early hours of Tuesday morning due to complications relating to MDMA.

A friend helped the girl outside, where door staff called the club’s medical staff to assist.

Det Insp Phil Jackson, of West Yorkshire Police, said: “This young woman’s family are completely devastated at her death in such sudden and tragic circumstances.

“We are awaiting the outcome of further tests but at this stage it does appear she has died as a result of a reaction to the drug.

“We therefore feel it is important to highlight her death and warn other people who may be considering taking MDMA powder, or anything that is being sold as that, about the potential risks to their health.”

Police have arrested another 19-year-old on suspicion of supplying Class A drugs. He has since been bailed.

A spokesperson for Pryzm told The Tab: “We are deeply saddened by news of the tragic death of one of our customers and our deepest condolences and thoughts are with her family at this difficult time.

“Our medical staff, who are always on hand to help all customers, did everything they could to try and help her, and we would urge anyone who is tempted to take an illegal substance to think twice.

“We are actively helping the police with their investigation and would remind all customers that the use of drugs in our venue is strictly prohibited as part of our zero tolerance policy.”