Guardian names Leeds in top five for student nightlife

Not that we’re surprised

best bristol dirty disco glasgow hot since 82 leeds London louche manchester mint warehouse nightlife paul woolford

The Guardian has named Leeds as one of the top five cities in the UK for university nightlife.

The publication ranked five cities in the UK for their nightlife, with the mighty Leeds placing alongside other heavyweights like London and Manchester.

The article cites the rise of student-funded events, as well as successful Leeds DJs such as Paul Woolford, Miguel Campbell and Hot Since 82, for its high ranking.

In the article, Stuart Forsyth, event and promotions manager at the Mint Warehouse, says: “It’s crazy how many Leeds-related DJs have done well over the last few years.

“Students get sucked in and inspired by the nightlife.”

2015’s freshers can expect to join the party wherever they want to, from superclubs like Control, to the vibrant gay scene around lower Briggate, onto more intimate, underground venues such as Wire.

Despite the closure of clubs like Mezz, Bed and Halo over the last couple of years, Leeds’ focus on new music and live events in Leeds has made it renowned for its nightlife, spawning massive house and techno nights such as Back to Basics, Dirty Disco and Louche.

And unlike places like London, an unforgettable night out won’t break the bank. You might even have change from a 20 for a Flames on the way home.

The other cities contending with Leeds (according to The Guardian) were Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol and London.

Worthy competition, but the winner is obvious.