Man accused of second-year’s death appears in court

Billy Mankelow passed away late last month

The man accused of murdering Leeds second-year Billy Mankelow has accepted being responsible for his death.

Former Get Baked employee Billy was found in the early hours of Saturday 25th April under the railway arches near Leeds Station.

He was taken to Leeds General Infirmary, where he died a day later from severe head injuries.

Local man Richard Danter appeared in Leeds Crown Court via video Link from Jail for a preliminary hearing.

He confirmed his name but no pleas were heard.

Richard Danter is expected to be returned to the court in August for a plea and case management hearing. A provisional trial date has also been set to begin on October 26.

Swinegate, where Billy was found

The judge told Danter he would be remain in prison until the next hearing. He said: “You will be remanded in custody until then. I do not foresee circumstances where you might be granted bail.”

Billy was in the middle of a Social Science degree at Leeds and was described as “a kind-hearted and genuinely decent human being” by his friends at Get Baked.

At the time of his death a statement released by his family said: “We are devastated by the tragic loss of our loving son Billy and are now asking for privacy at this heartbreaking time to allow our family to grieve”.